VERSION 2.10 – NOT QUITE STABLE! SAVE MULTIPLE COPIES OFTEN!

Home Forums Bug Report VERSION 2.10 – NOT QUITE STABLE! SAVE MULTIPLE COPIES OFTEN!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rickgman
    Participant

Hi everyone, just a heads up that while the latest version of SE (Version 2.10) has many new features, It is still a little unpredictable and unfortunately not as robust as I would like. I have experienced multiple crashes for no consistent reason. I lost almost 3 hours of work today. I had just added some last animation to a couple of images, added random transitions to all my slides and then attempted to save the presentation for the final time. I hit save and the file save began and then just stopped abruptly and then immediately Slide Effect crashed. Which is not that uncommon except this time after restarting the program I tried reopening the file that I had just tried to save, and it said the file could not be opened due to an error which read, “Unable to read beyond the end of the stream”.

After trying everything I could think of to retrieve the file, I had no choice but to go and rebuild the slide show. To ensure I didn’t get caught by another catastrophic fail, I immediately saved two copies of the presentation and every time I added a new slide, new images, added animation or transitions, I would save the file to both locations. Definitely not an ideal workflow but one that helped me complete the project. On the plus side, I am pleased to say that so far, version 2 has not failed me in a live presentation setting. So, for that reason, I am still committed to using it as my goto presentation software. I’m just hopeful that it will become more robust as time goes on and that crashes and corrupt file errors will soon be distant memories.

Looking forward to future updates Alain.
    Rick

alain
    Keymaster

Hi Rick,

Sorry to hear about your corrupted file. You are the second person reporting me this problem, and I tried last week to reproduce it .. but until now, I am not able to reproduce this crash on my setup. It would help me tremendously if somebody can give me a way to reproduce it.

In the meantime, I will add a backup system to avoid loosing everything when this crash occurs.

alain
    Keymaster

Hi there,

In the now available 2.0.11 version, a bak.sef file is created each time the software save the project. SE2 will also send to me a complete error report if a problem occur on save. So I should be able to fix this issue rapidly.

Thanks for the feedback.

alain
    Keymaster

According to what I saw, errors you encountered on save comes from corrupted downloaded backgrounds/effects. I added a verification in 2.0.12, so hopefully these errors should disappear.

Still, I am not able to verify already downloaded effects (only backgrounds) so please double check all additional effects you installed previously 2.0.12 are not corrupted.

From 2.0.12, everything is checked.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Bug Report’ is closed to new topics and replies.