I really want to buy this software, BUT!!

Home Forums General Discussion I really want to buy this software, BUT!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    pp9

I really really want to buy this software because of all the great features it has. I think it could be the best presentation software out there. However, and here is the BUT…. it is lacking the most important tool any presentation software should have and that is decent text editing i.e. paragraph text editing.

The current text editing is ok for the odd line or two, but totally insufficient for anything more. Most presentations I write require me to use technical information that I often edit as I go along. PowerPoint allows me to do this. I have freeware art packages that allow me to edit paragraphs of text on the page, so it can’t be difficult. The author of Slide Effect is obviously a skilful programmer, so, implementing a decent editor should be a walk in the park.

Importing PowerPoint slides with the text on does not work properly either. The import splits my words up and drops them on another line. So, that’s not a solution.

Copying and pasting text into the text box in slide effect pastes into one long line, requiring you to manually put in carriage returns. why?? This is just sloppy and it lets down the other really good elements of the programme.

Copying text direct to the page, pastes it as a bitmap.. What??

In my opinion, the lack of decent text editing is a major drawback of this software and it is the only reason why I will not purchase the pro version. I love all the other features, the effects, the GUI, the ease of use etc etc. I think it is brilliant..

I urge the author of this software to take some time and implement some decent text editing features: inline editing on page; font and font size… all the standard features found in other software.

It would improve this software no end and I would certainly buy it and use.

Hopefully, one or two of you also feel the same way. if so, make a comment please.

pp9

in fact, I would like to add: I would pay double the asking price for this software if it had decent text editing.

alain
    Keymaster

Hi pp9,

Thanks for this detailed feedback.

I have to admit I mostly agree with you (mainly for the “skillful programmer” part! 🙂 )

The text edition in Slide Effect is not satisfying, for all the points you have listed. I am actually working on a new system on our other product (Banner Effect). This new system will allow to set the font size, type Arabic or Chinese characters and set style as Bold/Underline/Italic.

I have plans to port this new system to Slide Effect for the next major version. But Slide Effect is a bit different and I will have to rework again the system. In particular for the “characters by characters” effects, these may disappear for “lines by lines”…

I will also try to make the text edition more “standard” and more easy to use.

So, in conclusion, this part will be enhanced, probably for the next major version (1.10.0) that should be released on the beginning of next year.

pp9

Hi Alain

that indeed is music to my ears… I can’t wait..

This really is a wonderful programme and I have several projects that I am keeping in limbo in the hope that Slide Effect will get proper text editing. My prayers have been answered.

For me the following is imperative:
    On page/in line editing of text, sorry to say this, but just like PP does it.
    Font parameters, that you have listed.
    Copy and paste text in to a text box on the page

Thank you. I will keep an eye on this forum for news..

ricrdop

Has this been done yet? It will really be a boig improvement. Specially when using bullets it puts an extra bullet in the following lines instead of only the first line of text of the paragraph

alain
    Keymaster

Hi,

No sorry it is not done yet. I still agree with you and it is still in the todo list, but I had no time to implement the new system until now.

Probably on next major version.

Lordxorn

I totally agree that better text editing could be implemented, HOWEVER!

This is just my personal opinion, but I feel that if you are required to put tons of text on the screen your presentation should be reconsidered. The best presentations are ones with the fewest words, and where the presenter makes the information known through his own speech or notes. For technical presentations maybe it would be best to have hand outs instead of torturing your poor audience with a wall of technical information.

I mean why would they need you as a presenter if they can get the same information from the text on the screen? I am sure you have been to those presentations where bullets are read verbatim. Maybe your presentation does not fall into this trap, but if it does and you are trying to accomplish this with SE you are missing the whole point of entertaining your audience so they actually pay attention.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.