Crashes a lot (Mostly when copying and pasting but can happen anytime).

Home Forums Bug Report Crashes a lot (Mostly when copying and pasting but can happen anytime).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Rickgman
    Participant

Hi Alain

I use Slide-Effect as my talk presentation software at church. For the most part it has been reliable. However, when I am preparing the slides I have encountered numerous crashes while in editing mode. These crashes mostly occur when copying and pasting but not always and not all the time. In fact it has even crashed while moving a text box or an image. There seems to be no recognizable pattern as to why it crashes. I had hoped that updating to the latest program 1.12.5 that crashes would stop. Unfortunately that is not the case. Because I like the finished presentation, I have adapted to the unstable nature of the editor and now save my work after just about every change. I am running an HP ENVY with an Intel Core i7 and 8GB ram.

Is it just me that is having this problem, and if so, can you give me a solution? If it’s a glitch in the editor do you think that maybe the new update to 1.13 will solve the problem.

Thanks Alain, I do hope that I can get this figured out.

Best Regards
    Rick Graham

PS I have also noticed that the Preview Window and the actual presentation are loading painfully slow in comparison to the last version I had.

Rickgman
    Participant

Hi Alain

I just downloaded the diagnostic tool and it ran the tests and sent the response back to your server.

RickW

Alain,

Earlier, I reported an issue with an I7 processor with 8GB of memory with a Dell laptop. I’m scheduled to look at it again this weekend so I can run the diagnostics tool. Hopefully it may shed some light if there is an issue with an I7 processor. The issue I reported is that it would not go past the first slide in a 5 slide EXE presentation.

To further the test, I may take a couple of projects and temporarily install SE1 to see what else I can experience, compared to the above. I will remove SE1 after running the projects and the report is generated.

Rick

Rickgman
    Participant

Alain,
    So far today, I have had more than 20 crashes. Not very impressed. No other software package on my computer crashes this often. Very frustrating when trying to complete a project on a tight schedule. Hopefully it will be resolved but as the issue also existed in the last version (although I never had this many crashes in a single day before) I’m not sure that it will be an easy fix. Here’s hoping.

Rick G

alain
    Keymaster

Hi Rick G,

Sorry to hear you have such troubles. Did these crashes occurred always on a copy/paste operation?

Is there a way to reproduce the issue?

I will take a look into that on Monday morning.

alain
    Keymaster

Me again: Is it possible for you to send me the presentation you are working at? It may help me to figure out where the problem is.

(Use http://www.dropsend.com service if the SEF file it too big for email)

thanks.

RJOL

I have experienced the exact same “crash” problems. I’ve used this program for over two years, on two separate top rated desktops, running windows 7 and now 8.1, and currently run SE 1.11.2 Pro on a brand new Dell XPS 8700 with a top processor, large memory, and fast graphics card. This happens over and over again, while in the editing mode. I have learned that you “just can’t save the project often enough” if you want to avoid loosing all your current edits.

I’ve reported this problem before, and sent the data in. Don’t think we ever found out what the problem is.

I like this program and don’t want to go through the large learning curve to try out another program. I use this program for about 2-3 presentations a year. If I needed to use it every day, I might look elsewhere.

alain
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

I know there are some stability issues with SE on some setups. Especially since I changed the font system. This is something I tried to fix, but until now I am not able to reproduce issues by myself (I don’t say there is no issue, but as I am not able to reproduce the problem it is very difficult for me to find out where the problem is). If somebody can send me a way to reproduce the issue, I’ll be glad to fix it.

The new version I am working on feature a lot of rewritten code, a brand new player and a lot of new things. I rewrote a lot of the old (Slide Effect is 7 years old) code and make it more clean and stable. Stay sure I completely dedicated to Slide Effect and I try to make it the best application possible.

The new version will be released soon – end of Summer.

clive787623

Hi,

I just bought recently and have been trying to use it, however the software crashes many times. It is a good software but unfortunately far too unstable. I can send you what I am working on and please find a fix.

Thank you

alain
    Keymaster

Hi,

Yes sure if you have any way to make the software crash, please send it too me (alain@slide-effect.com)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Bug Report’ is closed to new topics and replies.